Motor Company Archive

Foundation of Riverside Dutton Cadillac

Buick GMC dealer

Riverside Auto center is consisting of several businesses and dealerships but the Dutton Cadillac of Riverside are there since the beginning of 1965 and is the best example of the many family-owned businesses in the Auto Centre.

Riverside Dutton Cadillac is the Cadillac Buick GMC dealer who is located at 8201 Auto Drive and has been in Riverside since 1936 and it is operated and owned by Charles W. Dutton, Jr. and family.

Founded in 1924

Riverside Dutton Cadillac was founded actually in 1924 as Rubidoux Motor Company by the Howard Motor Company of Los Angeles. It was then later sold to Fred Schweitzer who then relocated the Cadillac Oldsmobile GMC Truck franchise from the base of Mt. Rubidoux to the downtown Riverside.

In 1936 the Charles W. Dutton, Sr. and Edgar L. McCoubrey his partner has bought the dealership. According to the Charles Dutton, Edgar L. McCoubrey has successfully run the dealership in World War II when his father is active Lt. Commander for Navy. As no car was building at that time so the dealership has to start renting the cars for keeping the doors opened as said by Charles Dutton. The division of the dealership actually then became the Hertz franchise for the Riverside County until the war is over. Then it was sold back to Hertz.

service center of GMC

After completion of the war Mr. Dutton, Sr. then returned to take active management of Rubidoux Motor Company along with his partner, who then went for running the newly acquired sister dealership, Plaza Motors in Palm Springs. In 1986, Mr. McCoubrey sold his interest in the company to the Dutton family and in 1987 the named was then changed to Dutton Cadillac of Riverside.

Charles W. Dutton, Sr. paved the way so to speak for Charles Dutton, Jr. who have joined the company after graduating from the University of California at Berkeley in 1960. It was at this time that Dutton Sr. was active in developing the Riverside Auto Centre along with several other Riverside dealers.

It was these seven dealers who then undertook the acquisition of the 55-acre plot at Adams and Indiana in order for creating the first auto retailing and the service center of GMC near me. Charles Dutton still remembers those meetings. He also reflects that the dad and several other dealers are drawing the numbers out of a hat to see where the different dealerships are located within the center. He still remembers that hat.